Sunday, July 25, 2010

Flight Lesson #7 - Turns to a Heading - May 22, 2010

The flight lesson today will focus on practicing turns to a heading. Turns will be either shallow or medium bank turns with heading changes of 10-180 degrees to the left and right. The goal is to get used to rolling into and out of the turns of various bank angles, how the plane feels and reacts at the various angles and to roll out, leading the roll out by half of the bank angle, so that you are then on the specified heading. Besides working on flying skills and further getting used to the plane in flight, why would this exercise be important?

At some point in flight training a chance to make the first solo flight will come. Also, flight training will include flying dual and solo into controlled airspace. By controlled airspace I mean airspace that have and are controlled by air traffic control (ATC). When flying with David, he will call turn to heading xxx degrees and climb and maintain 5,500'. When ATC gives the same type of instructions, it is the job of the pilot to listen, understand and read back the instructions as a way of confirmation of the instructions before complying. If the instructions come with "expedite" then you need to be proficient enough to comply with the instruction in a safe and expeditious manner. This includes making sure you are getting to the proper altitude and heading so that you will end up being where you are suppose to be. In this environment you have the expectation that other pilots operating in the airspace are also complying and are where they are suppose to be. This is all on-going practice so that when the situation comes, I will be ready to listen, read back, execute while maintaining situational awareness.

After arriving in the practice area and clearing the airspace, the exercise begins. I begin practicing turns to headings. An exercise starts with David giving me the instructions for the turn to the heading. I read back to him while setting the heading bug to the heading to roll out on. I also will set the numbering devise in front of me to any altitude change given. This devise will be my reminder of the altitude to level off at as I also watch my turn to heading. It is great practice and not unlike the steep bank turns exercises. The steeper the bank angle the more lead out is necessary to end up on the specified heading. Awareness of pitch attitude and power setting is also required to maintain the specified altitude. At the shallower bank angle, it is patience and again, leading the roll out appropriately. The goal is to roll in smoothly and roll out at the same rate as you roll in. I spend the entire training time turning left and right to various headings and altitudes. Turning right is more challenging that turning left. I think it is because in turning right I have to look past David and out under the right wing while scanning back to the instruments. Practice, practice, practice!

I head back to the airport. At about six miles out I let David know that the inner ear thing is affecting me again today and ask him to take over. David flies the rest of the flight while I experience the effects of multiple turns over and over again. This is not an uncommon occurrence as the body grows accustomed to flying in tight turns. I was not sick to my stomach which would have been the severe stage of air sickness. I again experienced the cold clammy sweaty feeling. This lasted until about five minutes after arrival at the hanger. I again enjoyed the flight lesson as another layer of learning and experience is gained. Am I ready to go up again? ABSOLUTELY!

No comments:

Post a Comment