Saturday, July 10, 2010

Flight Lesson #5 - Steep Bank Turns - May 12, 2010

Today the lesson starts with the pre- flight inspection. David instructs me on how to preform this inspection, what to look for and in what sequence to preform it in. We start by observing from the front of the plane for any spots on hanger floor for leaks and any obvious visual problems. Using the POH (Pilot Operating Handbook) I check the gauges, circuit breakers, lights, pitot heat and extend the flaps before shutting down the power. I move around from the door on the left side checking for loose fasteners, cover plates, looking for large cracks, freedom of movement of the ailerons, rudder, elevator and attactments. I also check the tires, brakes and dip each fuel tank for quantity and contamination of sediment and water. I further check the static port, stall warning horn, oil, fuel strainer, propeller, spinner, air intake filter and front landing strut. I confirm all is done via the POH. A cleaning of the windows after everything checks out and we are ready to fly.

I go through and complete the pre flight and taxi checklists before beginning the taxi for runway 25. Today there is a breeze again but it is coming pretty much down the runway so no correction is necessary today. I begin the taxi and each time feel more comfortable. the taxi to the run up area is uneventful. Each time I taxi I notice another flag or wind sock somewhere to assist me in gauging the wind. Because of trees and buildings, observing every indication you can will assist in getting the best read on what the wind is doing. I complete the run up checklist, clear the airspace and execute and acceptable take off straight out on the runway heading. I complete the 1000' checklist and turn to the training area proceeding to cruise altitude of 5000' where I complete the cruise checklist. It was a bumpy ride again this morning. I am getting used to it and know that when the calm day comes, I will rejoice. Hopefully learning in bumpy air will make calm air easier to fly in.

Today I will fly steep bank turns for 360 degrees. This and many of the maneuvers I have learned will demonstrate what the plane can do, how it feels when in that configuration and further add another layer of feel. David instructs me to start by identifying an emergency landing area and complete a clearing turn. Next I pick a visual reference such as a major mountain peak and set the heading bug to the heading. I then find a horizontal reference that I will try to maintain as I start and complete my turn. During the turn I will try to maintain that reference attitude while scanning for traffic and referencing the gauges and watching the heading indicator. I will try and start to roll out of my turn by half the bank angle or 20 degrees before the intended heading. I will also roll out at the same rate as I rolled in. Once set up I roll in the turn to the left watching the attitude indicator until I get to approximately 45 degrees. I do my best to make it a coordinated turn as I feel the almost 2 G's kick in and work to maintain my visual reference. David is a cool as a cucumber as he instructs me to add a little power and back pressure on the yoke to maintain that reference and so as to not lose altitude. I roll out a little slow and miss the heading by about 10 degrees. All in all though, not too bad. The feel of rolling to 45 degrees and rolling back to wings level is quite an experience. I am not quite sure I can adequately explain the sensation. Weight on, weight off, competing forces, managing flight, it is for sure another "A" ticket ride. I do a turn to the right next and another to the left before it is time to head back to the airport.

As I fly back to the airport I get all the way to the downwind leg before I tell David that I think I will sit out the rest of the flight. I am feeling cool with a clammy sweat going. I am not sick to my stomach but I sure know that I have been turning circles. So, David brings us back to the ground and the hanger. At the hanger I am feeling much better but think a nap when I get home will be in order. It was an incredible experience to fly the plane in steep turns. I do not know where I would choose to fly like that in real time but it is nice to know that I could bank steeply if needed and that the plane can do it with ease. The inner ear thing is common with new pilots. I am ready to go up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment