Friday, July 16, 2010

Flight Lesson #6 - Go Around! - May 15, 2010

With each flight lesson the layers of learning continue to build leading up to the day that when qualified and ready, the first solo will come. To be prepared for that day one must of course be not only able to take off but land. What happens during an otherwise normal approach for landing, well into the final approach if something were to happen that prevented you from landing? This could be while landing at a new airport or there is an unintended runway incursion or you are not comfortable with the approach or say a sudden up or down draft shows up that affects the landing. The solution is to not try and salvage a landing that may go wrong or could possibly damage the airplane but to "Go Around". This is a maneuver undertaken that aborts the landing and results in going around the pattern and setting up for another approach. No big deal. Everybody has done it at one time or another and certainly has practiced it as part of flight training.

Today I show up at the hanger and start right in on the preflight inspection. Each time I get more used to the process and it gets easier as I get more comfortable. It actually is not unlike completing the pre-trip inspection for a tractor trailer combination or large piece of equipment. The equipment needs to be in proper working order, fluid levels need to be checked and start up completed and everything verified as okay according to the pre trip inspection checklist before operation. Of course the big difference is that ground equipment may be damaged and stop in place where an airplane quitting on you in flight will necessitate a forced landing. While one might read about forced landings and even practice them, you want to avoid this scenario. At least I do! The plane is is ready to go. David and I sit while he explains the lesson for the day. We will proceed to the practice area where we will set the plane up in the landing configuration using full flaps and traveling about 60 knots. From this configuration I will execute the go around by applying full power, ensuring the carb heat is off, initiate a climb pitch, and reduce the flaps to 20 degrees. When I verify a positive rate of climb on the Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI), I will go to 10 degrees of flaps. With the positive rate of climb continuing and a positive increase in airspeed toward 55 knots, I will go to 0 degrees of flaps and continue a safe climb out. David again explains this well and the procedure does not appear to complex to follow.

Once belted in, I go through the start up and taxi checklists. These too are becoming more familiar each time I go through them. Listening to the weather and setting the altimeter still need work. Fixing the heading bug on the wind direction for correction during taxi is becoming a valuable tool as again today there is enough wind and direction to use control correction during taxi. You cannot see the wind all the time and monitoring the heading but will assist in the control input correct. The taxi to the run up area is uneventful and I enjoy watching the goings on, when I can sneak a peek.

The run up and take off check lists go smoothly. I am still getting used to setting the altimeter from AWOS and the heading from the compass. The compass reads backwards and reading it is an acquired and practiced skill. I too am getting more comfortable with the 360 degree clearing turn before announcing and proceeding to runway 25 for take off. The take off is acceptable however I still need to work on coordinating enough rudder to keep a consistent runway heading climb out. I proceed to complete the 1000' checklist, turn north for the training area and complete the cruise checklist for the remainder of the flight to the training area.

Once in the training area I initiate the clearing turns before settling in on a consistent heading to the southeast at 5500'. David instructs me through the process of getting into the landing configuration just like I would be setting up during the downwind, base and final approaches. Practicing the go around is part of the power off stall recovery. After working the pitch and power to approximately 60 knots while lowering the flaps to full, I experience the feel of how the plane handles in this configuration. The controls are heavier, less responsive and it takes more input to achieve the desired effect than at normal cruise at maneuvering speed. While getting used to this David says "go around". What my brain knows to do and what it does while managing flying are two different things. Heck, I know what to do but of course David calmly walks me through the procedure to conclusion and transition to normal S&L flight. I set up again and again do the go around. Better but still not as fluid and automatic as it should be and as I would like. Recover, set up and practice again. I can tell it is going to be one of those situations where personal debrief over time will assist in cementing this in my brain. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

We head back to the airport and David has me do a mid field transition over the airport above the traffic pattern altitude. David has me check the wind socks and segmented circle that surrounds and designates them at an airport. I proceed south, turn west toward Wolf Mountain before turning north for the 45 degree entry into the downwind leg of the traffic pattern. David walks me through the decent to the traffic pattern altitude (TPA) of 4200'. I enter downwind and proceed parallel to the runway. At this point in my training I am following the instruction given to me with explanation as to why. Good thing because I have my hands full listening and flying. I reduce to 2000 RPM's while trying to maintain 4200'. Soon I need to lower the flaps 10 degrees while I initiate a descent pitch and trim for 75 knots. Next thing I know I am turning to the base leg again. Half way through the base leg I think I said something like "anytime" meaning anytime David wants to take the controls it would be okay with me. However, anytime never comes and I am faced with judging the turn to final as I proceed toward the ridge that runs parallel to the runway on the north side. I make the turn okay and get lined up as David continues to talk me though the final approach, full flaps, long final clear, landing assured. I remember all this but I can tell you I am focus on the runway while staying lined up. I am working the throttle the best I can as needed to maintain the proper descent. At some point I remember coming down and then across the numbers and thinking about all the reading I have done about how to land because in my mind as sure as I know anything, it looks like I am going to land this plane. I come across the numbers and I reduce power to idle and settle in for the landing I have never done before. In the final stages of what I am sure is coming even though I have never done it, very calmly David say "GO AROUND". Without a second thought I apply full power, am reminded to reduce flaps to 20 degrees while I maintain the climb pitch down the runway climbing out. I get back to TPA and Daivd takes the controls for the pattern and landing. Back on the ground I complete the after landing checklist and taxi to the hanger. Another successful lesson with something learned and much to review. Moral of the lesson for me is that while I get the lessons and while I may not recall it during practice, I did recall it when I needed to do it and that is a good and positive thing to take away. Am I ready to go up again? Affirmative!

No comments:

Post a Comment