Friday, July 9, 2010

Flight Lesson #4 - Stability - May 8, 2010

I imagine that when someone is curious about flying or wants to learn to fly, the question of safety comes up. In particular, the question of how safe is it to fly in a small plane. Is it too small? Does it have enough power? Is the plane flimsy? Will the plane do what the pilot asks it to do or will it somehow act on its own? All of these are valid questions. I personally did not ask many of these questions. People fly many different sizes and shapes of airplanes for many different purposes. All are designed by engineers. Many hours of testing go into the development of a plane. Lives as well have been lost by people who enjoy flying while testing designs well before a plane is certified for sale to the public. Aircraft today go through rigorous testing and are designed to be safe and stable. Cessna has been in the business a long time and has a good reputation. Nothing is 100% guaranteed but people have been flying these planes years and they say the most dangerous part of flying is the drive to and from the airport! I never have given a second thought to flying in a Cessna or any other general aviation aircraft. A second thought to the pilot, attitude? Sure. To the maintenance of the aircraft? Absolutely.

As I was researching and making the decision to learn to fly, I kept this pretty close to the vest. I did mention my desire and plans to several friends. I asked each if they would fly with me if/when I get a licence. Almost everybody said NO. It was not about me but about flying in a small plane. I am sure somewhere in their lives they saw a news article about a plane crash and for sure they just did not have the same understanding about general aviation as I have even in my infancy. I hope they will change their minds. I will fly alone but it would be great to have a passenger once in a while.

How many of us have driven down the road and at some point taken our hands off the wheel to see if our alignment was good or heck, we were just on some lonely road and had nothing better to do. Most of us got about 1-3 hundred feet down the road before we corrected the drift that we were sure was coming. A plane is built with inherent stable qualities. Longitudinally a plane is very stable. It has positive static stability which means that a plane has the tenancy to return to its original state of equilibrium after being disturbed. The process by which the plane returns to it original state of equilibrium over time is called positive dynamic stability. In a roll, the plane will have positive static stability to about 30 degrees, neutral static stability up to 45 degrees and negative static stability beyond 45 degrees. This all sound great when you read about but how do you know it this is really true?

The flight lesson today was to discuss static and dynamic stability. As a new student pilot working to manage three axis through the air, you may have some lingering thoughts about safety and stability. So, today is the day to discuss it and demonstrate it so one not familiar with the design and performance characteristics can verify for themselves that it indeed does perform as described.

The lesson for the day stated with David explaining stability and in particular the characteristics of the Cessna 152. David does such a good job of explaining the dynamics and what to expect during the flight lesson. With the pre-flight inspection completed and both of us belted in, I start with the start checklist. I go through each item deliberately reading the item and confirming its completion. Checking AWOS, the winds today were out of the south making for cross wind conditions today. After completion of the start up and taxi checklists I start the taxi after David announces or intentions. David instructs me on making cross wind corrections while making the taxi. I set the heading bug to the wind direction so as to make the appropriate corrections when turning in the various directions. Dive away from quartering tailwinds and turn into quartering headwinds. I have been working on keeping the yoke neutral as aileron input does nothing on the ground. Now I need to make the appropriate aileron and rudder corrections for the taxi to prevent wind gusts picking up the wings. Snaking around the hanger area and staying on the yellow line is getting easier but coordination of the rudder steering is still a work in progress. It is always good to get out on the taxiway for the run to the run up area. Each time out there is a new type of plane to see that has slipped in during the night or late in the previous evening. The taxi to run up is uneventful. I am getting more comfortable with the routine of checklist and clearing the airspace before departure. I still need more practice reciting the emergency procedures of what we will do should we encounter a fire, failure or malfunction during takeoff and climb out.

After a final check of base, final and runway 7, I roll into position for take off. Today I am really focusing on smooth application of full power while verifying the carb heat is off, gauges are in the green, airspeed is alive and we are at full power. I do all this while also focusing on tracking the center line. I am still getting used to how much right rudder to use and then how much to hold to track down the line. It is one of those feel it situations getting used to how much and how long. I am not right on the line but do an acceptable job. Added to this take off today is the cross wind correction of turning into the wind at the start of the roll while gradually moving to the neutral position at rotation. David assists me with this procedure. I try and remember to look at all the things I need to verify before reaching 55 knots and the point of rotation. At 55 knots I rotate and like each previous flight, there is that bumpy air. I am getting used to it though. Today for the first time I feel comfortable enough on climb out and heading that I look down to the left to see Brunswick Road and Loma Rica Ranch. The ranch is something I wanted to see as this would be my bail out spot should and engine failure occur with no runway beneath me. Back to the cockpit for a quick look at gauges before looking out again. Most of your time should be looking outside and then referencing instruments. Before I know it David is reminding me it is time to complete the 1000' checklist. Before long I am turning right going through 4,500' on the way to 5,500'. At 5,500' I level off and go through the cruise checklist and lean the mixture accordingly. It is always nice to be looking at Mount Lassen on each flight.

Once in the training area with pitch and trim for level cruising flight, David has me complete a clearing turn. After the turn David walks me through how to initiate a medium bank turn and what to expect during the turn. This is an intro turning other than the shallow bank turns I have been doing. During a medium bank turn you can definitely feel that this is not an ordinary type of maneuver. Orientation is different. You feel some G forces previously not experienced. Scanning back and forth from outside to gauges is certainly a different feeling. During one turn
David has me reduce power to idle and level the wings and just keep the wings level and watch what happens. At this point the nose is pitched steeply down. As the airspeed rises lift is created and the nose rises and then is pitching up. As the nose pitches up the airspeed decreases and the elevator creates lift and the nose begins to pitch down again but not as steeply. I hold the wings level for about a minute while the planes oscillation between pitching up and down continues but is less and less each cycle until the plane returns to its original trimmed configuration. All the while I just maintain wings level while the built in inherit stability of positive and dynamic stability are demonstrated before my eyes. Pretty cool I must say. This demonstration just shows me that the plane wants to fly and should an up or down draft disturbs the pitch and trim I have set, the stability built in will want to return to its original flight configuration.

With the lesson done for the day we head back to Nevada County Airport. David continues to instruct me on headings and descents in preparation for entering the traffic pattern. David talks me through the approach and landing checklists, base and final approaches to another quality landing that I hope I can do one day. Off the active runway I complete the after landing checklist and taxi back to the hanger. I am always glad to get back to the hanger having completed another lesson. I am at the same time ready to go up again and wonder what is in store for next time. Meanwhile I relive the flight on the way home and prepare to the weeks study sessions. On a 1-10 I am still experiencing a 10! Final question: If I put you in that car on say a 1000' wide road, would that car continue to drift or return to its original track? Would you feel comfortable not putting your hands back on the wheel?

No comments:

Post a Comment